Empower Brokerage, Senior Product Specialist John Shinn, discusses the importance of knowing what is not covered by Medicare
So what does Medicare Part A and Part B not cover?
As we know, Medicare does not cover everything. There are a lot of things, like certain services, that are not under Medicare Part A or Part B. As you can read, directly out of ‘Medicare And You 2017’, the official guide to Medicare. This is one of the only places where all the answers are, aside from Medicare.gov. There are a lot of things that aren’t covered by Original Medicare Part A and Part B that you need to know about. You will find that you have to pay for these services yourself unless you have other insurance or Medicaid to cover the cost.
Or if you’re in a Medicare health plan that covers the services like Medicare Advantage. So even if Medicare covers a service or an item you generally have to pay for these services. The deductibles, the co-insurance, the co-pays, these sort of things you normally have to pay those if even the services are covered.
Some of the services not under Original Medicare Part A and Part B include:
- Long-term care (sometimes referred to as custodial care) in a nursing facility or at home. Medicare normally does not cover long-term care.
- Dentures are usually not covered under Medicare. For example, the cost of anything to do with dentures, Medicare does not cover.
- Acupuncture is normally not covered, or anything associated with acupuncture.
- Cosmetic surgery that’s a big question that we’re asked a lot is Medicare covers cosmetic surgery and they don’t.
- Hearing aids are not under Medicare, but Medicaid may cover some part of them.
It’s very important that you know what Medicare doesn’t cover. We spend a lot of time talking about what Medicare does cover under Part A and Part B. But knowing what they don’t cover is just as important that so you are well informed. A good place to go for more details is Medicare.gov, your Medicare provider or of course, you can contact us here Empower Brokerage.
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section below.
Check us out on social media: